Dr Mark Hemer is a Senior Research Scientist with CSIRO's Ocean and Atmosphere Climate Science Centre. His research interests focus on the interaction of waves with other oceanographic drivers in the nearshore and coastal zone. His research on the climatological variability and change of surface ocean waves is regarded internationally. His work has application for coastal hazards, the potential impacts of climate change and the implications for coastal risk management, and ocean renewable energy.
- PhD. Antarctic and Southern Ocean Studies, University of Tasmania, 2003.
- BSc (Hons I): Oceanography and Meteorology, Flinders University of South Australia, 1998.
- Senior Research Scientist, CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere. Hobart, Australia (2011- Ongoing).
- Research Scientist, CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research. Hobart, Australia (2008 - 2011).
- Postdoctoral Fellow, CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, Hobart, Australia (2006 - 2008).
- Research Scientist, Geoscience Australia, Canberra, Australia (2004- 2005).
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow. National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland (2003)
Adjunct and Visiting Positions:
- Adjunct Associate Professor, National Centre for Maritime Engineering and Hydrodynamics, University of Tasmania, Launceston, Australia. (2013-ongoing)
- Visiting Associate Professor, Disaster Prevention Research Institute, Kyoto University, Japan (2015)
- Visiting Scientist, UNESCO-IHE Institute for Water Education, Delft, The Netherlands (2014).
- Visiting Fellow, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA (2012).
- Visiting Scientist, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Geosciences, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands. (2010).
2012 - Visiting Fellowship, Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA
2011 - CSIRO Julius Career Award
2006 - CSIRO Office of the Chief Executive Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
Service to Profession and Community
2011 - ongoing: Founding co-chair JCOMM Coordinated Ocean Wave Climate Project (COWCLIP)
2014 - ongoing: Member, Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference Organising Committee
2017 - ongoing: Member, Technical Organising Committee 2018 International Conference on Ocean Energy, Normandy, France.
2017: Guest Editor (Hemer and Wang), Elsevier Ocean Modelling (VSI on Wind-Wave Climate)
2016-2017: Co-convenor European Geophysical Union General Assembly Session: Wave climate variability and change, with A. Semedo, M. Dobrynin and X. Wang.
2016: Co-Chair of organising committee: Inaugural Australian Ocean Renewable Energy Symposium, Melbourne.
2015: Guest Editor (Hemer and Tolman), Elsevier Ocean Modelling (SI 2 on Surface Ocean Waves)
2014: Contributor to Marine Strategic Science Plan
2013: Contributor to IPCC Working Group I 5th Assessment Report
2013: Guest Editor (Hemer and Tolman), Elsevier Ocean Modelling (SI on Surface Ocean Waves)
2010: Co-Chair Inaugural Australian Wind Waves Symposium.